Take a note...

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Restoring GRUB in Debian Etch

After reinstalling my Windows XP (as usual) I have to restore GRUB which is wiped out during the process.

I take the way using Debian net install CD, typing "rescue" (without quote marks-of course) from the option screen and follow the next steps until selecting what file system partition for the root is.
Then the last thing is to install GRUB. Firstly I choose to install GRUB on "hd0,0" since I only have single disk.

Weird thing happen when I reboot. It won't boot Windows. Debian runs well. I noticed there is some error when system trying to mount Windows partition. Try to manually mount it have no result as well. Also by editing fstab.

Then I decide to restore windows MBR again, by using windows installation CD and choose "R" for repairing existing Windows installation. Next I run "fixboot" followed by "fixmbr".
I repeat the process of restoring GRUB, but this time I choose "dev/hda " or you can type "(hd0)" when asked where to put GRUB. Reboot the computers.

I select Windows to test if this make any difference and yes..! Finally Windows can be booted from GRUB.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home