Take a note...

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Open Solaris snv49

I read an old entry in Ben Rockwoods' blog, said that if you already installed Solaris 10 GA, it is highly recommended to upgrade to Solaris Express Community Release (SXCR). Since then I was tempted to get my hands on this kind of Solaris

Finally last week I have the chance to taste it.
I downloaded all the 6 ISO file from Sun server,after registration. Then with my friend help, I burnt tem into CD. Thanks Dem.:)

Install routines almost like the old cousins. There also a bug? Since I chose to install Java Enterprise, at the end of the process I was asked to insert the CD contains this application. But the installer cannot find on the 6 CDs. Maybe I have to download them separately? Don't know. So like what I 've done in Solaris 10, I skipped the Java Enterprise and get ready to fine tuning my fresh installation.

First boot was not so impressive. Besides the time it takes, my box also experience kernel panic. Twice. Then I boot to failsafe mode. It was succesfull. Then rebooted the system to get login screen. This time there is no kernel panic.

Next step is to setup my onboard ethernet using Masa's nfo driver. Having some experience from Solaris 10, I go straight away to run install script. But since I forgot to create hostname.nfo0 file so the driver did not attached. Creating this file fixed up my problem instantly.

In my opinion this svn49 are more smart than the old cousin. Sound, mouse scroll button worked out of the box.
The application also more recent and complete. I have Firefox 1.5.0.6, Real Player 10, Rythmbox, GIMP, etc.
User interface also get improved. An example: I can switch among workspace by scrolling the mouse button over the workspace icon. Something I did not get from Solaris 10.
But I miss shutdown button – even when login as root. Maybe this is a step to secure the system? Nevermind. I found that I can shutdown the system by issuing poweroff command as root.

So the remaining task is to set up Blastwave package management and enabling watching DVD movie. I will do this later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home